Software Engineer – Big Data
Aptima is a market leader in optimizing human performance within complex, mission-critical systems. Aptima currently has an opening for a Software Engineer/Developer who will define and apply Big Data analytics to data concerning cyber defense. The customer organization is one of the premier venues for cutting edge research and development in Big Data. We are looking for a highly motivated, innovative professional with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a scientific research field.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Materially contribute to the design, development, and application of data mining, statistical analysis, machine learning, and modeling methods
- Collaborate with software engineers, within an agile development environment, to implement, test, and apply mathematical algorithms from research
- Masters or Bachelors degree in a software engineering-oriented discipline (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, EE, Physics, Economics)
- 5+ years overall experience including: big data, analytics, large scale systems, proven knowledge of game theory or statistical approaches is a plus
- Experience with at least one of the following:
- Implementing optimization and probabilistic classification, inference, or control models. The candidate must have understanding of underlying theories and at least two years of experience developing solutions using machine learning, optimization, stochastic modeling, or Bayesian decision theories
- Implementing models that apply game theoretic approaches to testing courses of action, especially in large scale missions
- Implementing models of graph data: Graphs with multiple attributes and changing dynamics, Graph-based analytics to include normalcy and anomaly detection modeling, Graph storage, and retrieval, Network/graph indexing & compression
- Implementing analytics for cyber datasets
- Experience implementing algorithms, such as event detection, graph search, graph pattern learning and detection, attribute / link discovery & classification in graphs, and belief propagation/Markov Chain Monte-Carlo methods/non-linear Optimization algorithms
- Demonstrated expertise using software development tools including some or all of: Python, Java, graph databases, Docker, Open Stack, scrum/agile, DevOps.
- Experience with any of the following would be a plus: HBase, Storm, Kafka
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written)
- Ability/willingness to locate near the customer’s site in Arlington, VA (no telecommuting/compressed schedules)
Any of the following would be a plus:
- Experience with techniques for parallel, distributed computing over big data, such as the MapReduce Framework or Hadoop
- Knowledge of software/data design methods, data structures, and modeling standards
- Experience collaborating with software engineers, and military personnel
- Journal and/or other refereed publications
- Current security clearance at the Secret level or above.
Aptima will not compensate applicants for any travel or relocation expenses to fill this position. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/vita in MS Word to email@example.com.
All applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Aptima, Inc. participates in the US Government E-Verify Program. For more information, click on www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
EOE MINORITIES/FEMALES/PROTECTED VETERANS/DISABLED